top of page


Athletic trainers in Oklahoma are committed to keeping their athletes as safe as possible. We strive to further the knowledge about ATs and how they can help.


The CDC estimates 1.6-3.8 million concussions occur in sports and recreational activities annually. However, these figures may underestimate the total, as many individuals do not seek medical advice.


Concussions have become a hot topic both on and off the field of play. While there is still a vast amount of knowledge to be gained from concussions, leading researchers and clinicians have paved the way toward advancing athletic training best practices


Approximately 1 in every 4-5 youths in America meet the criteria for a mental health disorder. The rate of mental illness was more than twice as high for those 18-25 as in those aged 50 years and older.


Approaching patients with concerns regarding mental well-being can be an uncomfortable experience. As athletic trainers, we may play a unique insider role in the life of a patient. ATs have the ability to identify “red flags” as well as provide the opportunity to be an advocate for the welfare of the individual.


According to the CDC, heat illness during practice or competition is the leading cause of death among U.S. high school athletes. Athletic Trainers have the knowledge and skills base to make death from heat stroke completely preventable through safe practice and heat acclimatization.

Oklahoma heat can take a toll on our athletes and being able to recognize the early signs of heat illness can make all the difference.


Sickle cell trait and sickle cell anemia are blood disorders that can be harmful for athletes. Sickle cell anemia is when the body produces abnormal blood cells, causing them to change from round to crescent shape, known as sickling. The abnormal blood cells can block proper blood flow in the vessels, which can cause serious complications. 


According to the CDC, over 30 million Americans have diabetes and face its devastating consequences. 


Oklahomans are increasingly feeling the effects of diabetes as thousands of people suffer from the disease, and many others may have diabetes and not know it!


It is estimated that one out of every three children born after 2000 in the United States will be directly affected by diabetes. In Oklahoma approximately 451,888 people in Oklahoma, or 14.3% of the adult population, have diabetes. In addition, 1,036,000 people in Oklahoma 36.9% of the adult population have prediabetes. 


According to the CDC, lightning strikes Earth more than 8 million times per day. The NOAA reports that on average, lightning strikes are fatal to about 10% of people who are struck, while the remaining 90% survive but with long-term, often debilitating symptoms. 


Research shows that sport specialization in early to middle childhood has become increasingly common. While most experts agree that some degree of sports specialization if necessary, there is some debate as to whether such intense 1-sport practice time might begin too early and cause increased rick for serious, life altering, injury.

bottom of page